Monday, October 04, 2010

Shots Fired Old School Mondays

I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By - Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige



A Grammy winning duet performed by rapper Method Man, and R&B singer Mary J. Blige.

The song is a remix of Method Man's "All I Need" (which appears on his 1994 debut album Tical), with an interpolation of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 1968 hit, "You're All I Need to Get By", with Mary J. Blige singing the choruses, and backing vocals. Another version of the song was released, entitled "Puff Daddy Mix," which was produced by Sean Combs. The song features the original "All I Need" instrumental, and repeatedly uses the sample ("Lie together, cry together/I swear to God I hope we fuckin' die together") from The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Me & My Bitch". Another remix version, titled "Razor Sharp Mix" was produced by RZA.

The song peaked at number three on the pop charts, and number one on the R&B singles chart, a position it held for three weeks. The song also ended up winning the duo the Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group in 1996.
"I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By" appears on Radio 1 Established 1967, a compilation album celebrating the 40th anniversary of BBC Radio 1. In 2008, it was ranked number 44 on VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop" list. In 2009, Method Man and Mary J. Blige performed the song together at VH1's 6th Annual Hip Hop Honors ceremony.



Article in courtesy of wikipedia.com

No comments: